Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Wednesday in Wyoming - September 25, 2024

 

Fort Laramie
Can you guess which fort this is? If you guessed Fort Laramie, you were correct. That's the fort that intrigued me so much when I first visited it that I knew it had to be the setting for a book. And it was.

A major stop on the Oregon Trail, Fort Laramie was far different from my mental image of a western fort. No stockade. No buildings constructed of logs. Instead, during its later years it resembled a New England village with sidewalks, birdbaths, and ladies carrying parasols. Not quite the Hollywood version of a western fort.

If you're ever in eastern Wyoming, I encourage you to visit Fort Laramie and the surrounding wagon trail sites, including Register Cliff and the wagon ruts. For more information about Fort Laramie, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment