Monday, May 30, 2022

Andrea's Favorite Cinnamon Rolls

 After she saw the blog post about Kathy Flinchum's prize-winning cinnamon rolls, my friend Andrea Dawson told me that she had a different recipe that might appeal to my readers. "It includes oatmeal," she told me. As someone who likes to add oatmeal to various recipes, I was intrigued. I was even more intrigued when I read the recipe, because it reminded me of what my coworkers in Philadelphia called sticky buns.

In case you'd like to try your hand at Andrea's favorite cinnamon rolls, here's the recipe.


Andrea Dawson’s Favorite Cinnamon Rolls

 

Combine in small bowl:

1 pkg yeast

¼ cup warm water

 

Combine in mixing bowl:

1 cup quick oats (not instant)

¾ cup hot milk

½ cup shortening

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 ½ tsp salt

 

Add and mix:

2 eggs

The yeast-water mixture

 

Gradually add:

3 ½ to 4 cups all-purpose flour to make a stiff dough

 

Beat well

 

Cover and let rise until doubled (around 1 ½ hours)

 

While dough is rising:

Combine in 9x13 inch pan:

½ cup maple or maple-flavored syrup

¼ cup brown sugar

¼ cup melted butter or margarine

1 tbsp water

2/3 cup chopped pecans

 

Combine in small bowl:

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tbsp grated orange rind

 

Once dough has risen, roll out on floured pastry cloth to 12x24 inch rectangle

 

Brush with:

¼ cup melted butter or margarine

 

Sprinkle with brown sugar-cinnamon mixture

 

Roll up, starting with long side

Cut into 1-inch slices and place in prepared 9x13 pan

 

Let rise until doubled (about 1 hour)

 

Bake 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown

 

Cool 1 minute before inverting onto wire rack or serving plate

 

 


1 comment:

  1. That sounds delicious 😋. I'll have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete