Thursday, April 2, 2020

Evelyn's Oatmeal Pecan Pie

So many people have asked for the recipe for the oatmeal pecan pie that plays an important role in Out of the Embers that - even though it's a family secret that Evelyn refuses to share with anyone - I'm willing to share it with you.

oatmeal pecan pie recipe

Isn't the page beautiful? I wish I could take credit for that, but I can't. The creative staff at Revell designed this page and all the others that make up Hill Country Sweets. (In case you're not familiar with it, that's the cookbook we offered along with other freebies to those who preordered Out of the Embers.)

The cookbook itself is easy to read, but I suspect you're having some trouble deciphering the recipe because I had to resize the picture. Here it is in simple text format.


Emmeline Radcliffe’s Oatmeal Pecan Pie
A Polly’s Place Recipe

 Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine:
½ cup butter, melted and cooled
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup dark corn syrup *
¾ cup quick oats
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup chopped pecans

Pour into unbaked 9 inch pie crust.
Cover edges with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.
Bake 25 minutes.
Uncover edges.
Bake another 20 to 25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

* Since corn syrup wasn’t available in 1856, Evelyn and her mother would have used molasses. 

I hope you enjoy the pie as much as Evelyn's customers did.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Amanda 😋 I look forward to trying it. Will share the recipe.

    ReplyDelete