Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Wednesday in Wyoming - April 10, 2019

Do you know what all these items are called? I don't, but I can tell you that they're part of the blacksmith's shop in the oldest section of Fort Bridger, Jim Bridger's trading post.

When I first heard the term "trading post," I expected a place for travelers to buy needed supplies, but as you can see from the presence of a blacksmith, travelers needed more than simply food, clothing, or ammunition. They needed to have their wagons repaired, and for that they often needed a blacksmith.

Bridger wisely gave them what they needed.

2 comments:

  1. A blacksmith, wow, I wouldn't have thought that , very interesting. Thank you for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I hadn't thought about the importance of blacksmiths until I started doing research on the Oregon Trail. Those covered wagons needed repairs all too often.

      Delete