Friday, March 27, 2015

Crossing the Prairie

When you think of pioneers on the Oregon Trail, do you picture them riding in a covered wagon?  Reality was that many of them walked alongside the wagons.  If you're like me, you probably can't imagine walking literally thousands of miles, all because you wanted a better home, a farm of your own or simply more freedom. That strength, determination and courage are among the many reasons I admire the pioneers.

If you're wondering about the statue, I discovered it at the Leanin' Tree museum in Boulder, CO.  I knew Leanin' Tree was a manufacturer of high quality greeting cards but was surprised to learn that the founder of the company shares his large collection of western art with the public in an outdoor sculpture garden as well as a two-story indoor museum for paintings and smaller sculptures.

If you're ever in Boulder, I recommend a stop at the museum and, if you have the time, a tour of the factory.  It was fascinating to see how the cards are printed, cut and folded.  I even had the chance to try my hand at folding envelopes.  I failed!

Here's some information about this particular statue.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to see this place and all it's history and statue's and pictures !history and thr crd making factory! Thanks for sharing Amada !
    Love,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene -- It was a fascinating place, definitely worth a second trip. So, if you're ever in this area, let me know, and I'll meet you there.

      Delete